Monday, May 31, 2010

Burgeoning Cultural Theorist Gets Ready to Learn


I'm going to France for the first time in less than a week and I hope to not only gain a better understanding of French language but the culture as well.

My blog's going to change to reflect this as I explore topics in French culture and compare American culture to that of French.

Topics I want to cover include:
  • Race
  • Dating
  • Sarkozy
  • Immigration
  • The Colonial Past
  • Materialism & Money
  • Gender and the role of women 
  • American Dream vs European Dream
  • Misc. differences between French and American society
I would really like to film my adventures in Europe but I don't have enough money to buy a camera worth purchasing, nor do I believe that the school that I will be studying at has any A/V equipment. So I'm going to rely on photos and possibly transcribe interviews from a tape-recorder (oy).

Excited to see what the next 8 weeks hold for me!




1 comment:

CYW said...

I'm very excited for you! I'm thinking about how it was for me when I first arrived in Denmark. At first you'll miss the US but then by the time you have to leave, you won't want to go.