Saturday, June 5, 2010

Le rêve Européen

Finally in Europe for the first time in my life. My journey began with the 5 hour car ride from Chicago to Detroit to board the group flight yesterday, followed by the 8 hour plane ride, and then a 3 hour bus ride from Charles de Gaulle airport to Tours, France where I will be staying.

Traveling is hectic. Air France, while being very hospitable, is not a good place to catch some shut eye and with all that sitting down my legs hurt incredibly and I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by everything.

I haven't done any exploring but I have observed something interesting things already.

The 3 hour bus ride through central France was for the most part un-riveting. The French highway system would probably be undistinguishable from the American version in terms of landscape save for a few interesting features.

Most of the houses that dotted the countryside were similar in construction - all were very old with cream/tan exteriors and roofs in various shades of orange. Throughout the rase campagne (open country) stood majestic cypress trees and along borders of the highway were beautiful bright red-orange poppies. These little details struck me because they've been ingrained in my head through Impressionist and Post-Impressionist art, though I hadn't realized it til today.

When I finally saw them it was an odd moment... to recognize something you've never seen before.
Monet


Van Gogh


Van Gogh




2 comments:

CYW said...

During your first few days, you'll notice ALL the little things that are different about Europe, little cars are just the beginning.

kalyah alaina f. said...

c'est trés magnifique!

that's actually a life-goal of mine:
to visit all the places of inspiration for my favorite authors, artists, and musicians.