Monday, May 24, 2010

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives


Congratulations to Apichatpong Weerasethakul for winning the Palme d'or on Sunday for his film Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives!
From what I've read, the film is about a dying man who explores his previous incarnations with the help of his family.


I'm excited to see this film once it becomes more widely distributed. Until I took my Hindi popular cinema class last semester, I never noticed how conceptions of mortality manifest themselves in film. Throughout the semester I questioned certain narrative plots in the Hindi films I saw that didn't seem quite logical to me. Those questions initiated discussion on cyclical versus linear conceptions of the afterlife which fascinated me. I'll have to talk about the specifics in a later post, for sure.

No comments: