Saturday, May 15, 2010

Life and the Artist's Way in Southern France

I'm going to France in a few short weeks with both a novice traveler's mind and a college student's pocket! Thus I am both really excited and cautious on where to go with limited funds. I have a few must-see places that I'm planning on going to so that my restless mind and first-time traveler's spirit will be placated. Provence is a place that I've been giddy about getting to see.


Provence is located in Southern France and is known for its unique cuisine, beautiful weather, lavender fields, and influence in artist's work from Van Gogh to Cezanne.




I've been enthralled with the region probably since as a 5th grader my art teacher had us draw our own renditions of Van Gogh's Bedroom at Arles. Since then I've seen a few of the many versions Van Gogh drew here at the Art Institute of Chicago, but there's something to going to this area that became the home of so many artists that draws me for whatever stupid reason.


Here are some of the paintings that have been inspired by the beauty of Provence:






L'estaque, near Marseille, by Paul Cézanne


Café at Night, Arles, by Van Gogh












Starry Night, Saint-Rémy, by Van Gogh

Mont Sainte Victoire, Aix-en-Provence, by Cézanne
And finally the one that started it all!!
Bedroom at Arles by Vincent Van Gogh

No comments: