Monday, July 19, 2010

On the Front Page of Le Monde

Image, Le Monde

This morning at breakfast I was skimming the July 15 Le Monde and the front page above the fold article was the following:

Le Sénat américain ouvre la voie à la réforme de Wall Street

It made me think about two things 1. how incredible the coverage of the United States is in Le Monde and how it is not reciprocal in the United States and 2. what life would be like as an expat

A lot of the stereotypes pertaining to Americains not knowing anything about other countries while other countries know about us has some legitimacy. While I was skimming the article I kept thinking that it is so weird to be learning about this important political news from my country first from a French newspaper. It made me think about how I would feel and be different if I were to live in France for more than two months...

It was very interesting to go to Poland this summer with my dad. I expected him to rave about Poland the whole time and talked about how he missed it but instead he compared everything to the United States and how it was better there. I think the only thing connecting him to Poland is the family he still has there in essence. Sure he loves Polish food and music a lot, but 30 years in the US has definitely made its mark on him... it is an interesting thing to ponder - notions of identity and nationality.

No comments: